I love setting goals. Like, I love it a stupid amount. Big goals that break down into little goals with smaller steps that have little check-boxes next to them. I'm a To Do List junkie--the type of person who spends probably a little too much time scheduling and creating those pretty little check boxes (which I still draw in proper kanji stroke-order, because Japan). I browsed amazon for the perfect day planner (it has a to-do list section) and I have a gigantic desk calendar to help me keep track of important dates and monthly goals at a glance.
That said, I'm not that great at sticking to these schedules, but I like to have them anyway. They remind me where I'm going and give me something to set my sights on in the distance. They're my way of dreaming about the future, of showing myself that dreams are within walking distance if you're willing to take the steps, even if you take them slowly, or out of order.
2014 was an interesting year. I remember telling Abbie at our writing retreat in March what I hoped to have done by the next retreat: SONG OF THE HERETIC drafted, the second Millroad Academy book drafted, and a good start on my next novel-length work.
I'm about 20 scenes from the end of SONG OF THE HERETIC, which is, surprise-surprise, about the length of two books, and while I have the next Millroad Academy Exorcists novella outlined, plus two other novel-length works outlined, I haven't started writing anything else. I have had about three more novel ideas, though. Someone stop me.
Writing isn't the only thing I've been up to, though. This year's goals have several categories, so I'm going to do what I do best. I'mma make a list.
Writing Goals for 2015
- Finish SONG OF THE HERETIC's rough draft
- Edit SONG OF THE HERETIC
- Query SONG OF THE HERETIC
- Write rough draft of Millroad Academy Exorcists, novella 2
- Edit and release the second MAE novella
- Write rough draft of HELLHOUND
- Release Case of the Copper Condor on Tales from the Archives
- Don't suck as an Assistant Editor
School Goals for 2015
- Get an A in Anatomy & Physiology
- Don't fail Statistics
- Don't fail Conceptual Physics
- Get into Echocardiography program
- Don't fail at Echocardiography program
- Study regularly
- Find the awesome
Narration Goals for 2015
- THE BEST KIND OF THIEF by Amy Sparling
- THE BEST KIND OF PROM DATE by Amy Sparling
- SHADOWS ON SNOW by Starla Huchton
- MAE book 2
- [redacted] for Abigail Hilton
Personal Goals for 2015
- Continue journey for optimum health
- Paleo diet
- Exercise regularly
- Make an effort to go more places and see more people
- Remind self that dates are not a totaly waste of time
- Be more awesome
I think that covers it. Notice that "blog regularly" wasn't in there. Hah. I know better.
What are your goals for 2015? If you had goals last year, how did you do? Did you achieve them? Leave a comment below!